The discoveries have one common theme: Cellular processes long assumed to be "genetic" appear quite often to be the result of highly complex interactions occurring in regions of DNA void of genes. This is roughly akin to Wall Street waking to the realization that money doesn't make the world go 'round, after all. "It's a radical concept, one that a lot of scientists aren't very happy with," said Francis S. Collins, director of the National Human Genome Research Institute. "But the scientific community is going to have to rethink what genes are, what they do and don't do, and how the genome's functional elements have evolved. "I think we're all pretty awed by what we're seeing," Collins said. "It amounts to a scientific revolution."
DNA unraveled - The Boston Globe
- ► 2013 (23)
- ► 2008 (24)
- MicroRNAs may be key to HIV's ability to hide, eva...
- Is DCA "The Cure" for Cancer?
- BIRD FLU IN SASKATCHEWAN CANADA
- Researchers develop new technique to synthesize dr...
- DNA unraveled - New info Francis Collin's calls a ...
- A Dream Team Of Drugs And Diagnosis?
- Senate OKs FDA drug safety bill and Pharma has to...
- Genome Area Linked to Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Will Sharing Ideas Advance Cancer Research?
- Genetics Hold Promise, Challenges for Cancer Care
- ▼ September (10)
- ► 2006 (77)