Men may be carrying in their testicles an almost limitless supply of spare part cells for treating disease and injury, research has suggested. It could become possible to harvest the stem cells from testicles and grow them into specialised tissues for treating conditions such as diabetes, Parkinson’s disease and paralysis. As the cells would come from the patient’s own body, they would be a precise genetic match and would not risk rejection. This source of tissue would thus remove any need for therapeutic cloning.
Testicles may provide a better kind of stem cell - World - Times Online
BioBOOM Op/Ed: In possibly related stories there is expected to be a big decline in male to female sex change operations and adult video arcades are now selling, for big profit, any floor mopping material which in the past they disposed of. (just kidding) Sure we will hear more along these lines from Jay Leno and others. Stay tuned...
- ► 2013 (23)
- ► 2008 (24)
- ► 2007 (65)
- Bird flu expected to hit West Coast by summer
- Consumers Turn to Their DNA for Answers
- The Human Genome [On The Trail Again]
- Testicles may provide a better kind of stem cell
- Studies Suggest Avian Flu Pandemic Isn't Imminent
- Aging Japan builds robot to look after elderly
- DNA Diet: Bogus or Breakthrough?
- Fisher to buy Athena, stake in Nanogen
- Gene therapy gives hope to haemophiliacs
- Scientist does "origami" folding with DNA
- DNA-Shaped Nebula Spotted in Space
- Playing Stem Cell Lottery
- Discoveries about the variability of the human gen...
- News in Science - Menstrual bloodldsstem cells
- Plant sterol pills significantly lower LDL cholest...
- Government Health Researchers Pressed to Share Dat...
- Canadian claims to have developed world's first bl...
- Hey Starbucks, how about a genetic test to go wit...
- Sensor instantly detects cocaine or other toxins i...
- Parents Sue Over Pregnancy Test Said to Tell Baby'...
- ▼ March (20)