Experts said that compared with eight months ago, this is a major extension of the avian influenza epidemic. Over the next few days, the World Organization for Animal Health and the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization will try to match that sequence with the genetic sequence of viruses from birds in other countries affected by bird flu. If it turns out that H5N1 was carried to west Africa by migratory birds, we need to be prepared for the possibility that within the next six months it could be brought back to the northern hemisphere — but perhaps along a different flyway. That could mean that countries in Western Europe and North American should be bracing themselves for the possible introduction of H5N1 avian influenza.
Spread of Bird Flu Boosts Pandemic Chances - Yahoo! News
- ► 2013 (23)
- ► 2008 (24)
- ► 2007 (65)
- Beijing Warns of Bird Flu; Chirac Urges Calm
- Researchers Demonstrate Value for the First Geneti...
- Scientists Find Virus in Some Prostate-Cancer Pati...
- Stem Cells May Be Key to Cancer
- India Declares Arrival of Avian Flu Where 50,000 B...
- Genome data may contain small but significant erro...
- Bird flu 'could take 142m lives
- Greetings Kill: Primer for a Pandemic
- Spread of Bird Flu Boosts Pandemic Chances
- Firms give U.S. millions for genetic research
- Stem cells implanted in hearts
- DNA Kits Aim to Link You to the Here and Then
- Windfall for drug industry raises questions
- ▼ February (14)