Researchers added a gene that makes the testicles of the male mosquitoes fluorescent, allowing the scientists to distinguish and easily separate them from females. The plan is to breed, sterilise and release millions of these male insects so they mate with wild females but produce no offspring, eradicating insects in the target region within weeks
The Guardian | Scientists create GM mosquitoes
BioBOOM Op/Ed: Genetically modified glowing sterile mosquitoe testicals- this will surely complicate the "birds and bees lesson" for my daughter. Hopefully we can come up a with a similar approach to dealing with radical exteme islamics like Osama and his crowd. Free light show included!
- ► 2013 (23)
- ► 2008 (24)
- ► 2007 (65)
- ► 2006 (77)
- Health Stocks in Motion - Invitrogen and Serologi...
- Findings identify likely origins of prostate cance...
- New DNA Map Will Help Find Bad Genes
- Turned-off genes linked to ovarian cancer
- Scare Yourself Silly, but the Real Terrors Are at ...
- Britain: Bird Flu Is Deadly H5N1 Strain
- South Korea Opens Stem Cell Research Bank - Circum...
- In a crisis, creating DNA vaccine could help save ...
- Bayer Offers New Antibiotic With Promise in Fight ...
- Bird flu has biotech in high-flying frenzy similar...
- Biotech firm launches test of HIV drug
- Experiments May Overcome Stem-Cell Qualms
- Bird Flu Virus Resistant to Tamiflu
- | Stem cell heart cure to be tested
- Scientists create GM mosquitoes to fight malaria a...
- Cheeseburgers are good for the gut
- Embryonic Cells, No Embryo Needed: Hunting for Way...
- Injured Soldiers Bring Home Rare Infection
- After Delay, U.S. Faces Line for Flu Drug
- Safer test for unborn babies
- Microbes: New evidence for courtroom
- ▼ October (21)