Texas jury found pharmaceutical giant Merck & Co. liable Friday for the death of a man who took the once-popular painkiller Vioxx, awarding his widow $253.4 million in damages in the first of thousands of lawsuits pending across the country. The jury broke down the damage award as $450,000 in economic damages — Robert Ernst's lost pay as a Wal-Mart produce manager; $24 million for mental anguish and loss of companionship, and $229 million in punitive damages.
Jury Awards Widow $253.4M in Vioxx Trial - Yahoo! News
BioBOOM Op/Ed: Nothing personal but was a 59 year old man really going to earn, from lost wages, $450,000 at Walmart? And damn we are alot younger so time to tell the spouse we are worth millions in just companionship. Someone lock up these attorney's nows! PASS THE LAWS to restrict this crap. Couple of million and she still lives like a queen but 200+?? Come ON!?? Wasn't this guy with poor health anyways? Gotta love those Texans in a "red state" who complain about this kind of thing and then stick it to those east coast pharma big shots. Hope none of the jurists need better drugs in the future. Who do they think will pay for this in the long run. We all will in the cost of buying. We did learn that Merk was wrong and that unethical marketing practices for the almight dollar doesn't pay off if the objection you overcoming in the sales process is someones death. So we do think they deserve the hit but maybe some percent of money should go to something else beside attorneys and surviors.
- ► 2013 (23)
- ► 2008 (24)
- ► 2007 (65)
- ► 2006 (77)
- Amylin Seen Funding 'Massive' Phase III Trials
- New Orleans and Mississippi = Higher Death Tolls ...
- Celera Diagnostics Identifies New Heart Attack Gen...
- New Process May Lead to Mad Cow Diagnosis
- Research improves hopes for cancer vaccine
- Life-Lengthening Hormone Found in Mouse Research
- Calif. Targets 39 Companies in Drug Suit
- Fed legislation could imperil CA's stem cell effor...
- Amylin, Alkermes soar on Byetta data
- Genetic Material May Aid SARS Treatment
- Jury Awards Widow $253.4M in Vioxx Trial
- A Summer Surge For Volatile Biotech
- Role of MicroRNA Identified in Breast Cancer
- Scientists Claim to Invent Urine Batteries
- A New Lab Partner For The U.S.?
- Crocodile blood may yield powerful new drugs - HIV...
- Doctors' Links With Investors Raise Concerns
- DNA technology brings personal gene maps closer
- FLA Lawmakers hinge stem cell campaign on new Scri...
- NFL Teams to Use Pill to Monitor Body Heat
- New HIV Treatment Strategy Shows Promise
- Rice Genome Decoded, Better Crops Expected
- Senator seeks probe of drug researcher payments
- Drug researchers leak secrets to Wall St.
- Quest Diagnostics to acquire LabOne for $934M
- Avian Flu Vaccine Set for U.S. Production
- 'Cheap' genome sequencing now possible- scientists...
- Scientists pinpoint new breast cancer genes
- Gene therapy works in mice to prevent blindness th...
- Master regulatory gene found that guides fate of b...
- Mayo Clinic collaboration invents 'virus in stealt...
- Qiagen buys two firms as focus shifts to Proteins
- ▼ August (32)