The bill, proposed by Sens. Sam Brownback, R-Kan., and Mary Landrieu, D-La., would prevent the research that is to be funded under Proposition 71, California's $3 billion investment in stem cell research, they said. The House has passed a companion bill sponsored by Rep. David Weldon, R-Fla. The bills define human cloning too broadly, thereby criminalizing the procedure of making exact copies of cells that is thought to be essential to embryonic stem cell research, Klein said. Along with imposing prison terms and up to $10 million fines on scientists who perform such a procedure, the bills would make it illegal for Americans to travel abroad to receive the product of the banned research, Klein said.
Legislation could imperil state's stem cell efforts | The San Diego Union-Tribune
BioBOOM Op/Ed: Nice day for the religious right, 1st we get a preacher calling for assination and now learn some yahoo's in congress are trying to impose their strange concepts in a bill which jeopardizes future research. Sure we'll soon learn that they are putting 13 yr old boys in jail for masterbation because they are killing potential life too.
- ► 2013 (23)
- ► 2008 (24)
- ► 2007 (65)
- ► 2006 (77)
- Amylin Seen Funding 'Massive' Phase III Trials
- New Orleans and Mississippi = Higher Death Tolls ...
- Celera Diagnostics Identifies New Heart Attack Gen...
- New Process May Lead to Mad Cow Diagnosis
- Research improves hopes for cancer vaccine
- Life-Lengthening Hormone Found in Mouse Research
- Calif. Targets 39 Companies in Drug Suit
- Fed legislation could imperil CA's stem cell effor...
- Amylin, Alkermes soar on Byetta data
- Genetic Material May Aid SARS Treatment
- Jury Awards Widow $253.4M in Vioxx Trial
- A Summer Surge For Volatile Biotech
- Role of MicroRNA Identified in Breast Cancer
- Scientists Claim to Invent Urine Batteries
- A New Lab Partner For The U.S.?
- Crocodile blood may yield powerful new drugs - HIV...
- Doctors' Links With Investors Raise Concerns
- DNA technology brings personal gene maps closer
- FLA Lawmakers hinge stem cell campaign on new Scri...
- NFL Teams to Use Pill to Monitor Body Heat
- New HIV Treatment Strategy Shows Promise
- Rice Genome Decoded, Better Crops Expected
- Senator seeks probe of drug researcher payments
- Drug researchers leak secrets to Wall St.
- Quest Diagnostics to acquire LabOne for $934M
- Avian Flu Vaccine Set for U.S. Production
- 'Cheap' genome sequencing now possible- scientists...
- Scientists pinpoint new breast cancer genes
- Gene therapy works in mice to prevent blindness th...
- Master regulatory gene found that guides fate of b...
- Mayo Clinic collaboration invents 'virus in stealt...
- Qiagen buys two firms as focus shifts to Proteins
- ▼ August (32)