Roche announced this week that it is investing $766.3 million in new manufacturing facilities to produce the Genentech cancer drugs Herceptin and Avastin, and the hormone EPO. A new Roche factory in Penzberg, Germany, will make the breast cancer drug Herceptin and cost 400 million Swiss francs ($306.4 million). Another factory, also located in Penzberg, will manufacture the anemia treatment EPO with an investment of 200 million Swiss francs ($153.3 million). Meanwhile, work is beginning on a facility in Basel, Switzerland, to make the active ingredient in Avastin, bevacizumab. This factory will cost 400 million Swiss francs ($306.4 million).
RED HERRING | Roche Builds Factories
BioBOOM Op/Ed: The name of the game now seems to be production capacity and there is plenty of under capacity "if" you have the right biological. In addition, on June 17, Genentech announced its purchase of Biogen Idec’s 60-acre factory in Oceanside, California, for $408 million in cash. Better investment question might be who is getting the bio-production equipment business at these new sites?
- ► 2013 (23)
- ► 2008 (24)
- ► 2007 (65)
- ► 2006 (77)
- California expands newborn test for genetic abnor...
- US Senate leader Frist backs stem cell research
- Genetic Regulator Of Lifespan Identified
- Government Is Investigating 3rd Possible Case of M...
- Gene engineered stem cells heal rat spines
- Sirna Therapeutics, Inc. (RNAI, breakthrough - a 9...
- Invitrogen to Acquire BioSource for $130M
- Possible herpes virus Achilles' heel found
- Trial to Test Stem Cells for Heart Attacks
- CDC and Fort Dodge Animal Health Achieve West NIle...
- Ciphergen jumps on Quest deal
- Multi-species genome comparison sheds new light on...
- The Next Ambien?
- Gene's mutations found to cause life-threatening a...
- Pfizer Q2 Profit Up, R&D Being Reorganized
- BIOART Ecce Homology
- Sigma inks licensing deal with Alnylam
- Senate approves Bush's pick to head FDA
- Moral Debate: Does Stem Cell Procedure Really Risk...
- Serologicals Corporation Implements Accelerated In...
- Stem cells may protect brain, nervous system -stud...
- Nearly 12,000 Pa. Patients Got Infections
- Genentech quarterly profit rises 73 pct
- Stem Cell Legislation Is at Risk
- First of Merck's many court days
- NYU's Center For Comparative Functional Genomics H...
- Roche Builds Factories for Genetech
- BD Announces Agreement to Sell Clontech to Takara
- Scientists identify novel gene driving the growth ...
- Study - circumcision reduces HIV
- Singapore biotech firm discovers new source of ste...
- Guidant Defibrillators Get Highest Warning
- Cisco - online push cuts costs and improves care, ...
- Americans Endure 4 Million Drug Reactions a Year
- ▼ July (34)