In a study published in the July 22 issue of the journal Science, a team of 25 scientists from the United States, France and Singapore compared the organization of the chromosomes of eight mammalian species: human, mouse, rat, cow, pig, dog, cat and horse. Using sophisticated computer software to align and compare the mammals' genetic material, or genomes, the team determined that chromosomes tend to break in the same places as species evolve, resulting in rearrangements of their DNA. Prior to the discovery of these breakage hotspots, the prevailing view among scientists was that such rearrangements occurred at random locations
Multi-species genome comparison sheds new light on evolutionary processes, cancer mutations
- ► 2013 (23)
- ► 2008 (24)
- ► 2007 (65)
- ► 2006 (77)
- California expands newborn test for genetic abnor...
- US Senate leader Frist backs stem cell research
- Genetic Regulator Of Lifespan Identified
- Government Is Investigating 3rd Possible Case of M...
- Gene engineered stem cells heal rat spines
- Sirna Therapeutics, Inc. (RNAI, breakthrough - a 9...
- Invitrogen to Acquire BioSource for $130M
- Possible herpes virus Achilles' heel found
- Trial to Test Stem Cells for Heart Attacks
- CDC and Fort Dodge Animal Health Achieve West NIle...
- Ciphergen jumps on Quest deal
- Multi-species genome comparison sheds new light on...
- The Next Ambien?
- Gene's mutations found to cause life-threatening a...
- Pfizer Q2 Profit Up, R&D Being Reorganized
- BIOART Ecce Homology
- Sigma inks licensing deal with Alnylam
- Senate approves Bush's pick to head FDA
- Moral Debate: Does Stem Cell Procedure Really Risk...
- Serologicals Corporation Implements Accelerated In...
- Stem cells may protect brain, nervous system -stud...
- Nearly 12,000 Pa. Patients Got Infections
- Genentech quarterly profit rises 73 pct
- Stem Cell Legislation Is at Risk
- First of Merck's many court days
- NYU's Center For Comparative Functional Genomics H...
- Roche Builds Factories for Genetech
- BD Announces Agreement to Sell Clontech to Takara
- Scientists identify novel gene driving the growth ...
- Study - circumcision reduces HIV
- Singapore biotech firm discovers new source of ste...
- Guidant Defibrillators Get Highest Warning
- Cisco - online push cuts costs and improves care, ...
- Americans Endure 4 Million Drug Reactions a Year
- ▼ July (34)