The finding implies that lifespan is not simply dependent on accumulated wear and tear or metabolism, as some researchers have suggested, but is at least partly controlled by an active genetic program in cells--one that could theoretically be boosted. One of the immediate implications of the work is that it emphasizes the functional difference between nicotinamide and nicotinic acid. Nicotinic acid (niacin) is a known anticholesterol treatment, while nicotinamide (or niacinimide) is sometimes touted for anti-aging abilities and is in clinical trials as a therapy for diabetes and cancer. However, the two substances are sometimes sold interchangeably as supplements under the name vitamin B3. "Our study raises the concern of taking high doses of nicotinamide," Sinclair said, because nicotinamide puts a damper on Sir2's actions in the cell
Genetic Regulator Of Lifespan Identified
BioBOOM op/Ed: Time to look at the ingredient listings on my vitamins. Hopefully the B3, if there is any, reads nicotinic and not nicotinamide.
- ► 2013 (23)
- ► 2008 (24)
- ► 2007 (65)
- ► 2006 (77)
- California expands newborn test for genetic abnor...
- US Senate leader Frist backs stem cell research
- Genetic Regulator Of Lifespan Identified
- Government Is Investigating 3rd Possible Case of M...
- Gene engineered stem cells heal rat spines
- Sirna Therapeutics, Inc. (RNAI, breakthrough - a 9...
- Invitrogen to Acquire BioSource for $130M
- Possible herpes virus Achilles' heel found
- Trial to Test Stem Cells for Heart Attacks
- CDC and Fort Dodge Animal Health Achieve West NIle...
- Ciphergen jumps on Quest deal
- Multi-species genome comparison sheds new light on...
- The Next Ambien?
- Gene's mutations found to cause life-threatening a...
- Pfizer Q2 Profit Up, R&D Being Reorganized
- BIOART Ecce Homology
- Sigma inks licensing deal with Alnylam
- Senate approves Bush's pick to head FDA
- Moral Debate: Does Stem Cell Procedure Really Risk...
- Serologicals Corporation Implements Accelerated In...
- Stem cells may protect brain, nervous system -stud...
- Nearly 12,000 Pa. Patients Got Infections
- Genentech quarterly profit rises 73 pct
- Stem Cell Legislation Is at Risk
- First of Merck's many court days
- NYU's Center For Comparative Functional Genomics H...
- Roche Builds Factories for Genetech
- BD Announces Agreement to Sell Clontech to Takara
- Scientists identify novel gene driving the growth ...
- Study - circumcision reduces HIV
- Singapore biotech firm discovers new source of ste...
- Guidant Defibrillators Get Highest Warning
- Cisco - online push cuts costs and improves care, ...
- Americans Endure 4 Million Drug Reactions a Year
- ▼ July (34)