A 1st Step to personalized medicine - but controversial

The Food and Drug Administration yesterday approved the controversial drug BiDil to treat heart failure specifically in black patients, marking the first time a medication has been targeted at a racial group. The agency said the approval marked "a step toward the promise of personalized medicine," and was based on research that found the drug could significantly improve the quality of life for black heart disease patients and markedly reduce their chances of being hospitalized and dying.

FDA Approves Controversial Heart Medication for Blacks

BioBOOM Op/Ed: Although we would rather see the approval based on genetic or metabolic profiles not "race", we do feel it's a step in the right direction for more targeted medicines. The data is there but also the risk of implied discrimination according to some quoted in the article
.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your blog. I also run a site about online colleges and universities. We have programs for all kinds of career paths including
forensic entomology

job opportunitya said...

Excellent blog. Your site was great and will be
finding it again!  I surf the net for blogs like
yours.
I'm looking at the possibility of checking your liposuction plastic surgery blog.

job opportunitya said...

Exciting blog. The site out did itself and will be
back! I love surfing the internet for blogs that are
exactly like this blog.
Check out my bad celebrity plastic surgery blog, you won't be sorry!

job opportunitya said...

Creative blog. I just kept looking at it over and
over! Im always looking for blogs like this!
I will give you access to jump to my hollywood plastic surgery blog.

amaretto-mudslide said...

Enchanting blog. Your site was off the chain and I
will return! I peep the web for blogs just like this
one.
I was in love with your cash advance los angeles blog site.

Blog Archive